Bob Bailey

A myblog.arts site

More research needed – Critical Response Process

| 0 comments

Deciding on my role as provider of skills, knowledge, experience – I am attempting to work out if I ask questions of my students that support my ‘old Art School’ techniques rather than new digital media teaching.

Nicola Gilchrist (in my PgCert group) recommended Liz Lerman’s Critical Response Process:

The key elements are:

• Four steps of the CRP process (listed below)
  • An Artist showing work
  • A facilitator
  • A group of respondents

The Four steps are:

Step 1 – Statements of Meaning

• i.e. What was stimulating, surprising, memorable, meaningful?
  • This stage provides a range of specific information about how respondents are experiencing the art work
  • Avoid starting sentences with ‘I liked…’
  • Remember: nothing is too small to notice.

Step 2 – Artist asks Questions

• The creator asks questions first.
  • This stage allows the artist to state where they are focusing energy or seeking solution.

Step 3 – Neutral Questions from Respondents

• Respondents get the opportunity to analyse their opinions in order to phrase them as neutral questions.

Step 4 – Permissioned Opinions

• Respondents ask permission of artist to express opinions about their work.
  • If artist accepts, responders state opinions.

Role 1: Artist/Maker

Offers a work-in-progress for review and feels prepared to question that work in a dialogue with other people.

Role 2: Responder

Engages in dialogue with the artist, with a commitment to the artist’s intent to make excellent work.

Role 3: Facilitator

Initiates each step, keeps the process on track, and works to help the artist and responders use the process to frame useful questions and responses.

Step 1. Statements of Meaning

Responders state what was meaningful, evocative, interesting, exciting, and/or striking in the work they have just witnessed.

Step 2. Artist as Questioner

The artist asks questions about the work. In answering, responders stay on topic with the question and may express opinions in direct response to the artist’s questions.

Step 3. Neutral Questions

Responders ask neutral questions about the work, and the artist responds. Questions are neutral when they do not have an opinion couched in them.

This step is one of the most fundamental, challenging, and misunderstood steps of Critical Response Process.

Step 4. Opinion Time

Responders state opinions, given permission from the artist; the artist has the option to say no.

This may (or may not) be useful in getting students to answer my leading question of modern or classic teaching methods…
I realise I need to do much more research from a variety of resources.
This is a start…